Our client, the American Astronomical Society (AAS), a prestigious scientific association in DC whose mission is “to enhance and share humanity’s scientific understanding of the universe as a diverse and inclusive astronomical community”, has an immediate opening for a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee Support Specialist. This is a great opportunity to work with a progressive company with fantastic benefits and culture.
The position is based out of AAS’s DC office on K Street in Washington DC. Vaccination is required. The salary is $77k.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee Support Specialist will aid the Board of Trustees and four key committees with DEI issues and positively and proactively address the issues from our growing diverse community. The DEI Committee Support Specialist will report to the Chief Financial and Operations Officer as well as provide the following duties:
- Serves as a resource of knowledge and facilitates connections within the AAS community to meet diversity, equity, and inclusion needs.
- Works with AAS meetings services staff and other staff members to ensure a strong presence and successful meeting experience for the four key committees and manage the logistics for the receptions held at the AAS meetings.
- Responsible for maintaining the governance materials for the committees as well as supporting the logistics and responsible for the record-keeping for committee meetings and coordinating the communications among and between the committees.
- Ensure the needs and concerns of the key committees are known and addressed by all AAS departments on a case-by-case basis.
- Work with the Communications team to update and improve our web pages related to our DEI initiatives.
- Work with the CFOO on the redevelopment of our Job Register to enhance the inclusivity through messaging and guidance to the job seekers and institutions.
- Serve as the staff point of contact for the American Institute of Physics TEAM-UP project and support the Executive Officer in their role as the AAS Executive Sponsor for the partnership.
- Ensure that the Committee Members are registered at non-AAS meetings, including handling any exhibit or display registrations & related logistics.
- Provide administration for relevant grant programs and including supporting the volunteer award committee and updating the applications and website on a bi-annual basis.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree is required, a STEM degree is preferred.
- A minimum of two years of experience working directly with the elected leadership of a non-profit organization or equivalent.
- Experience in working in support of and a personal commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion topics and issues.
- Strength in project management and execution experience.
- Ability to build working relationships to achieve longer-term goals.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills are required.
- Expert user knowledge of Microsoft Office and Drupal (or equivalent website editing tools) and the ability to learn new systems as needed.
- High level of professionalism with outstanding customer service skills.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE OUR CLIENT
American Astronomical Society offers a competitive salary plus an exceptional benefits package, including ten percent of salary added to a company pension after one year of service, generous sick and vacation time, 14 paid holidays, comprehensive medical with a choice of three plans, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability and long-term disability, parking and commuter benefits, tuition reimbursement, and professional development opportunities.
Their goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of our communities. We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, people of all ages, and veterans to apply. We are committed to building a team that is inclusive of a variety of backgrounds and perspectives.